National Drive Electric Week
Sep 20, 2015
|Day:||Sunday, September 20, 2015 NOTE: this event has already happened, find current-year events on the Attend page.|
1855 41st Ave
Capitola, CA 95010
Despite it being a very hot day with temperatures in the upper 90s, 500-600 visitors came to National Drive Electric Day – Monterey Bay in Capitola, CA. We had 7 local dealers: Tesla, Porsche, BMW, Fiat, Nissan, Volkswagen, and Chevrolet. Local manufacturer Zero Motorcycles showed off 2 models and electric bikes were provided by the Bike Station and eGo. There were 17 owners with their electric cars including Chevrolet Volt, Nissan Leaf, Fiat 500e, Spark-e, Think City, Toyota Rav4 electric (2 models), Kia Soul EV, Ford Fusion Energi, Ford C-Max Energi, Tesla S, Tesla Roadster, and Yuba-E electric cargo bike. We provided 50 test rides and 46 test drives in 7 vehicles including Volkswagon e-Golf, Nissan Leaf, BMWi3, Kia Soul, Fiat 500e, Chevy Spark and Chevy Volt. An exciting education booth for grade-school kids was provided by Richard Tavener of the Fused after-school program in Carmel, assembling and racing small model “Stella” solar car kits. A fun time was had by all!
photo by: Richard Tavener of the Fused after-school program in Carmel, CA
Child participating in the "Stella" solar car kit assembly activity.
SPECIAL FEATURES HIGHLIGHT:
We have a number of exciting event highlights this year including:
- Activities for the whole family: This year’s event features some kid-centric activities that will be fun for the whole family. Learning to Discover, based at the Capitola Mall, will be offering opportunities for kids to build their own robotics. In addition, kids will have the opportunity to assemble a mini version of the world’s first solar powered family car! All parts, solar panels, tools and instructions will be provided. This will be first come first serve. Sign-up begins at Noon. Project starts at 12:30pm and the assembly project takes about 2 hours. There will be a finale race of the STELLA “Mini Solar Cars” at 3pm. This activity is most appropriate for ages 9-12 (Each student must be accompanied by an adult). This opportunity is made possible by Fused, an after-school program to inspire the next generation of innovators.
- Electric Bus: New Flyer will be bringing one of their electric buses for display and test rides! Get a glimpse into the (near) future of public transit
- Large electric vehicle display where you will have the chance to take a look at all types of EV models and talk with the owners about their experiences.
- Test Drive area: Ecology Action will be hosting a test drive section to provide you with the opportunity to get behind the wheel of some of the most popular electric vehicles on the market today! Take a drive or two or three, talk with local experts and dealers, and compare between models. Our list of available test drive vehicles will be posted shortly (we’ll also have an array of e-bikes to try!). What better way to see if an EV will fit your driving needs and lifestyle than by getting behind the wheel and seeing first hand.
- A free raffle where you will have the chance to win an electric vehicle charge station from Clipper Creek and more!
There are currently 59 attendees registered.
Owners of These Vehicles Have Registered To Attend
|Nissan Leaf (2011-2017)||3|
|Chevy Spark EV||2|
|Toyota RAV4 EV (2012 and later)||2|
|BMW i3 REx||1|
|Ford C-MAX Energi||1|
|Kia Soul EV||1|
Registered attendees report 142,886 electric miles driven.
In the News…