National Drive Electric Week - St. Petersburg
|Day:||Saturday, September 12, 2015 NOTE: this event has already happened, find current-year events on the events page.|
|Time:||10:00 am - 4:00 pm|
Spa Beach Park
615 2nd Ave. N.E.
550 2nd Ave. N.E.
St. Petersburg, FL 33701
St. Pete Drive Electric Day On The Bay was the 1st NDEW EVent held in St. Petersburg, FL. Despite a dismaying forecast of a 90% chance of thunderstorms, over 300 came out, including St. Pete Mayor Rick Kriseman, shown in the event photo holding an umbrella as he learns about the Chevy Volt. St. Pete City Councilman Karl Nurse read a proclamation from the host city. BYD displayed its 40' electric bus in the Ride & Drive area along with Nissan, Chevy, Tesla & BMW, with the rare i8. 2 Volts and, a Leaf provided rides on the Electric Tour de St. Pete on the city’s grand Prix course, past the famous Dali Museum.
30 exhibitors & sponsors filled the waterfront park's Green Tech Expo with displays of electric bikes and boats, solar panels and local wildlife. 30 display EVs lined up in our EV rally. Attendees appreciated being able to talk to owners after taking a ride in an EV with a dealership rep. Reps also appreciated having so many so many testimonials to back up their sales pitch.
photo by: Phil Compton
St. Petersburg, FL Mayor Rick Kriseman, left, braved the rain in his Sunshine City to check out St. Pete Drive Electric Day On The Bay at Spa Beach Park. Here, he's surprised to learn what a great car the Chevy Volt is from Robert Poole, right, of Maher Chevrolet. Maher sells more Volts than any other Chevy dealer in the SE U.S.
Celebrate our past and welcome the future at St. Pete Drive Electric Day On The Bay! Businesses, organizations, community groups and entrepreneurs with a focus on sustainable products and services will show you that our future is here today at this exciting event in beautiful downtown St. Petersburg.
Organized by the Florida office of national Drive Electric Week sponsor Sierra Club.
St. Pete Drive Electric Day On The Bay: a day of fun and education about today's new green driving technology!
· Ride and Drives: Take a 2 mile Electric Tour De St. Pete in any & all of the EVs for sale today: Nissan Leaf, Chevy Volt, Tesla Model S, BMW i3 and more. Local EV dealer displays and Ride and Drives stage from Dolphin Parking Lot at Spa Beach Park out on 2nd Ave. NE, turning south on Bay Shore Drive, curving around the Dali, back up on 1st St. S. and returning to Spa Beach Park on 2nd Ave. NE.
Drive any & all of these cool new cars - with a wide price range, you might just find a car that works for you!
And check out the rare, exotic, amazing BMW i8 on display - you won't see it anywhere else in Florida!
• Public parking in Beach Drive Parking Lot. Or take the Downtown Looper directly to the event. http://dsp.discoverguidemap.com/public/looper/DT-StPeteMap-Looper.pdf
· Sponsors: Sierra Club Florida Healthy Air Campaign, the City of St. Petersburg, Custom Hospitality, The Electric Marina electric boats, Bionx International electric bikes, GreenTec Auto, Cardone Industries, Solar Energy Management, Green Me Locally, BYD electric buses, Nature's Food Patch Market & Cafe, Urban e recycling, All Florida Management, and the St. Petersburg Area Chamber of Commerce.
Thanks to all our sponsors who make it possible for Sierra Club to put on this special EVent.
- Also exhibiting in the Green Tech Expo: Shaklee, Running Smoothie, Sustany Foundation, Clearwater Marine Aquarium, Democratic Environmental Caucus, Tampa Bay Area Regional Transportation Authority (TBARTA), Friends of Boyd Hill Nature Preserve, Florida Dept. of Health-Pinellas County, Pinellas County Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO), Tampa Bay Clean Cities Coalition, Tampa Bay Watch, Environmental Protection Commission of Hillsborough County, St. Petersburg Sustainability Council, Duke Energy.
- All that driving might make you hungry! So we'll have Food Trucks! The Cheesesteak Truck! All-Natural, Hand-Crafted, Artisan Popsicles from Pop Craft Pops! Tasty Tortilla! And, on the day before their national appearance on the Food Network show "Cutthroat Kitchens", Asian Fusion cuisine from MMMBap!
For more information about the site of St. Pete Drive Electric Day On The Bay, what's here today and what will be here soon, go to http://www.stpeteparksrec.org/spa-beach-park.html; http://www.stpeteparksrec.org/pier-park.html, and www.newstpetepier.com
There are currently 174 attendees registered.
Owners of These Vehicles Have Registered To Attend
|Tesla Model S||11|
|Nissan Leaf (2011-2017)||6|
|Other Plug-In Vehicle||2|
|Toyota RAV4 EV (2012 and later)||1|
Registered attendees report 569,426 electric miles driven.
In the News…