National Drive Electric Week
Berkeley • Sep 15, 2018
|Day:||Saturday, September 15, 2018 NOTE: this event has already happened, find current-year events on the events page.|
|Time:||11am - 3pm|
Civic Center Park
1940 Allston Way
Berkeley, CA 94704
Our 2nd Annual Ride Electric was bigger and better with the addition of e-bikes and family friendly activities. The event, held in conjunction with the weekly farmers’ market, had a large footprint and various components. In addition to EV owners and car dealerships, we had a reclaimed arts activity and bounce house (powered by 100% clean electricity) for kids, as well as various info tables and the very popular e-bike test rides.
- 267 people registered in advance, of which 52 were EV owners representing 17 different plug-in vehicles. This is an increase of 100+ registrants from 2017.
- Estimated 300-500 people attended in total, and 100+ kids jumped in the bounce house
- 17 different volunteers/staff worked shifts during the event day (setting up, monitoring road closures, greeting attendees, etc.).
- Approx. 12 additional volunteers staffed 9 info tables (City of Berkeley Offices of Sustainability & Transportation, City of El Cerrito’s Environmental Quality Committee, Citizens’ Climate Lobby, Ecology Center, Golden Gate Electric Vehicle Association, League of Women Voters Berkeley, Albany, Emeryville, NorCal Solar, and PlugIn America).
- City of Berkeley info table logged 79 conversations with event attendees, primarily about EV financing and charging options.
- 3 entities hosted the event, contributing staff time, funds and promotional resources (cities of Berkeley & El Cerrito, and the non-profit Ecology Center)
- An additional 2 cities (Albany & Oakland) and 6 non-profits (350 Bay Area, Albany Climate Action Coalition, Clean Vehicle Rebate Project, East Bay Clean Cities Coalition, Sierra Club SF Bay Chapter, and SunWork) supported/promoted the event.
- 4 local dealerships participated (Toyota of Berkeley, Weatherford BMW of Berkeley, Autocom Nissan of Oakland, and smart/ Mercedes-Benz of San Francisco) and Maven (car sharing) brought a Chevy Bolt.
- 2 bicycle companies (Trek & Ford GoBike) offered e-bike test-rides.
photo by: Rebecca Milliken
Julian Shepard (Ecology Center Youth Program Staff) & Torina Wilson (Berkeley Ride Electric Volunteer) by Nissan LEAF display
2nd Annual RIDE ELECTRIC at the FARMERS' MARKET
Discover the latest electric cars & bikes
Talk to local EV ownersFind resources for purchasing, leasing, rebates & discounts
Bring the kids! Art activities & bounce house
Test ride e-bikes
Walking distance from Downtown Berkeley BART station
Grab lunch at the Downtown Berkeley Farmers' Market
Free, reserved parking for EV owners available on Allston Way
Participating dealerships, vendors & retailers
Cities of Berkeley & El Cerrito, and the Ecology Center
350 Bay Area, Albany Climate Action Coalition, Berkeley Climate Action Coalition, Citizens' Climate Lobby, Clean Vehicle Rebate Project, East Bay Clean Cities Coalition, Golden Gate Electric Vehicle Association, League of Women Voters BAE, NorCal Solar, Sierra Club SF Bay Chapter, SunWork,
There are currently 267 attendees registered.
Owners of These Vehicles Have Registered To Attend
|Nissan Leaf (2011-2017)||12|
|Tesla Model 3||9|
|Nissan Leaf (2018+)||3|
|Tesla Model S||3|
|Tesla Model X||2|
|Chevy Spark EV||1|
|Ford Fusion Energi||1|
|Honda Fit EV||1|
|Kia Soul EV||1|
|Other Plug-In Vehicle||1|
|Toyota RAV4 EV (2012 and later)||1|
Registered attendees report 908,727 electric miles driven.
In the News…